Sunday, July 12, 2009

more q & a

In conversations or emails, friends and family ask or mention things they're interested in. So I thought I'd share some of these...

How are you two getting along? Actually, quite well. Greg thinks we're arguing less than usual (which really isn't that much!) - we're trying to be more tolerant of each other.

Wow - great photos! (OR) Do you take many pictures? LOL I've taken over 6000 photos so far, most of them from the back of the bike. I usually take 100-200 on each road trip. Then I pick the best ones for posting. But that isn't the end of it - I pull those best pics into photo editing software, and crop them and fix the colors and the contrast, etc. Then I open them into Paint to reduce their size. So don't even think for a minute that I just take a few photos and they're all fab!

What about meals? We go out for meals maybe twice a week. We each make our own breakfast. Lunches while biking are sandwiches, chips, dried fruit, etc. Dinners are usually some grilled meats and a side dish or two. Easy stuff.

What about showers? Almost all of our showers are in-house. And that is one of the bummers of this lifestyle - showers are military style. We turn the water on and rinse down, then shut the water off. We soap everything up, turn the water back on, and rinse off. No good long soaking showers.

So what are you doing besides driving/riding? Greg does a lot of cleaning and maintenance work on the bike, trailer and RV. And he actually read an entire book. (That like never happens!) I read a lot, and spend time working on photos/blog/etc. I also do almost all of the routing, since Greg does the driving. I also do a little "booking scrap" when Greg does his solo rides. We have campfires most nights if we're in a place where they're allowed - yep, we still enjoy s'mores and pudgy pies!

What about TV? I think Greg has watched the news maybe 3 times. I haven't watched tv at all since April 1!

What kind of place do you usually stay at? At first, we stayed at a lot of RV parks that accept Passport America discounts. Then we got to areas where they weren't any PA parks, so we started staying at state and national campgrounds. Recently we started boondocking (not at an official campground), and I think we'll continue this when possible. As long as we find "nice" spots - what can beat free?!

(nobody has asked this, everyone's probably too polite) What's this trip costing you? Our daily average cost is over $100, but that includes 4 new tires for the bike (expensive!), new frig in the RV, plus the necessaries: fuel, food, campgrounds, equipment maintenance. This does not include the cost of the RV, bike or trailer.

When are we coming home? We plan to be back by Aug 11. Our housesitter (thanks, Tom!) will be moving out.

What then? hmmm.... that is yet to be seen. Will there be jobs available yet?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marcia and Greg. Thanks for sharing your adventures and photos with all of us. To me, it is especially pleasing to know you are enjoying the beauty of our great country with each other, while also soaking up fascinating tidbits of local and regional culture,AND, dropping out of the rat race as you are doing it. On August 12, when you get back to TV, you will discover you have not missed a thing...the same old crap will be flooding out of it. Keep the good stuff coming!...John Hickman PS: Best wishes

Unknown said...

Hi Marcia and Greg--

Thanks for all of the updates. i really do enjoy the pictures, and the commentaries.

Alex and Henry are doing fine, but do ask about you regularly.

Keep enjoying yourselves, and sharing all the good stuff with those you left behind!

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg & Marcia,
Greg it is Rhonda from Assurant! I have been reading your adventures at least once a week. I really enjoy Marcia's comments about what you are seeing and doing. I was going to ask if when you were in WA if you stopped in to ask any of the local agents how they liked selling the product you helped Assurant get on the street. LOL. Believe it or not the stuff is selling like crazy! Still running under the very manual process! Take care. Marcia one question for you.... do you miss your cats???? Do you see many folks traveling with pets?