Friday, May 01, 2009

love "borrowing" internet access!

There's a lodge near here that offers free wifi, so Greg and I are both surfing away...


A few days ago (I think - I'm beginning to lose track of time!) we were back at the great Riana Campground at Abiquiu Reservoir. We did a nice ride on some roads we had already been on, but managed to stop and enjoy a bit more - less hurrying.

This is a picture of the earth dam (on the right) at Abiquiu Reservoir. It's kinda scary to me, thinking that only loose dirt/rock/etc is holding back all that water!


There's a waterfall in here, you may need to look closely. I thought the rock formation was pretty funky looking - like something you'd see at Yellowstone National Park.

This is just a scenic along the drive... nice, huh?!

Ok, so this one isn't quite as pretty or cool as usual. Hmmm... Why am I including it? Take a close look at the squarish indents at the bottom of the cliff. Then look at the next photo.


Yep, those are cliff dwellings. I just love that kind of stuff. Poor Greg, sometimes he gets that "more old rocks?" look on his face. So I try to get through it quickly. But it amazes me, when I think of how ancient cultures survived, how they created things, etc.

At the same place as the cliff dwellings, at Bandelier National Monument, there are also some "normal" dwellings too. I think it's cool that they built these houses in a circular grouping.

ok, one more rock picture. I think the colors in this one really rock! haha, pun not intended.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those cliff dwellings are really something! I've been to Mesa Verde, and have been really fascinated by the way people eked a living out of an arid land, and thrived for hundreds of years.

Glad you got the wifi and were able to share these pictures.

Tom

Anonymous said...

Glad to see things are going well for both of you. I've always wanted to visit Santa Fe and NM, which I am doing vicariously through you two!
Good luck on the rest of the trip---I'm keeping an eye on your blog when time permits.

Bob Graw

Unknown said...

How cool! Great pictures!