Wednesday, October 24, 2007

random thought

As I was flying to Atlanta yesterday, we flew over Chicago, and we weren't really high yet. The houses looked like little square dots. I gazed at downtown for a while. My first thought when I saw downtown was "it looks like legos." No kidding. That's what went thru my mind. Now we have driven thru downtown quite a few times, even on the bike. And wow - especially on the bike - those buildings and those highways etc. are just huge. So I gazed a while at the little "legos" and I thought about how just being in the air that little distance made such an enormous difference in perspective. People can't even be seen, and large man-made creations look tiny. So then I started into my "people are mere specks of dust" mode of thinking. And really, we are. In size and in time, we are. Yet we as a group, a species, are wreaking absolute havoc on this beautiful world we live on. WHY?! Why can't we people realize the damage that we are doing? The world may never recuperate from us. Even if we totally wipe ourselves out of existence, the holes we have dug, the structures we have made, the resources we have used up... all of that will still impact the earth. wow. That thought really makes me sad. :-(

No comments: