Thursday, December 29, 2005

more happy news!!

After I got home from work and shoveled dinner down my throat, Greg asked what my plans were for the evening. "Nothing." "Well, I want to take you somewhere." Sometimes Greg just likes to surprise me, and I knew this was one of those times - no use asking where or why. So we ended up at a kitty shelter.

I'M GETTING 2 KITTENS FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!!

I have missed Cat so much... he was only 8 when he died this spring, and it was so unexpected, I wasn't prepared for that. And even now, sometimes I think I see a cat movement and I look for Cat. Cat was always nearby, underfoot more like LOL, a constant companion. Sometimes he'd tell me all about his day, and other times he was quiet. Sometimes he'd rub all over me, sometimes he'd want to play, and sometimes he just wanted to be nearby but NOT touched. But he always loved being around people, always wanted to know what was going on!

Greg had made many comments making me think that there was no way I could convince him to get another kitty. Apparently today he decided that it was the thing to do. Don't know why, probably will never know. Definitely NOT gonna argue!!! Another thing I've learned about Greg - if he makes a decision that I like, I gotta jump on it then and there, before he changes his mind. So I made sure that I filled out all the paperwork before we left the shelter just so he won't change his mind on this one!

The kitty shelter is one that doesn't euthanize, so some of their cats have been there a long time. It was kind of sad, but the cats didn't seem upset or sad. Most were very sociable. I walked in expecting Greg to only be interested in youngsters, but he walked around and petted just about every cat and kitten there. There was an adult he really seemed to like, but it still had its claws. Ok... don't throw the anti-declaw posts at me - Greg insists on declawed cats. And I would never even contemplate declawing an adult cat.

So after meeting all of the cats there, Greg and I ended up back at the little kitten cage. There were 4 kittens in it. This particular shelter requires that kittens be in a home with at least one other cat. Plus a lot of the siblings are required to go in pairs. So we were down to a big decision: two orange brothers or a black/white and tabby brother/sister combo. I think neither one of us really wanted another tabby again so soon - the little girl looked so much like Cat - even tho they were super friendly and energetic. So we opted for the orange kitties!! They're pretty laidback, very sweet, little purring motors.

Another shelter requirement - after you file for adoption, there is a "cool-off" period of at least 3 days. Some folks make a spur of the moment decision and then regret it quickly. And the shelter is only open certain days. So Greg and I won't get new kitties until next week. But on our way home, we bought the stuff we need so we'll be all ready for them when they get here.

I can't wait!! My little babies are so cute!

3 comments:

Michelle W. said...

oh! You much post photos. They sound so cute already...

Michelle

B said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I bet Greg secretly wanted the cats as much as you do! Can't wait to see pics.

Tim